My characters shall have, after a little trouble, all that they desire.
-Jane Austen

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Charles Dickens 200th Birthday!

This is a little mash-up I wrote for Charles Dickens' bicentennial. Enjoy!

In the pleasant home of Mr. Samuel Pickwick, that gentleman and many of his friends had convened for a meeting. The head of the dining room table sat Mr. Pickwick, and at the foot, Miss Betsey Trotwood. On the left of the table were Oliver Twist, the Artful Dodger, Fagin, and Nancy, followed by Mercy Chuzzlewit, Mr. Chuzzlewit, Ruth Pinch, and her brother Tom. On the right of the table were Ebenezer Scrooge, Tiny Tim, and Bob Cratchit, as well as Charles and Lucie Darnay, with Sidney Carton. Also on the right were David Copperfield, Dora with Jip in her arms, and Agnes, along with Tracey Tupman, Augustus Snodgrass, Nathaniel Winkle, and Sam Weller. All were engaged in friendly conversations, but the discourse ended when Mr. Pickwick gently tapped his gavel thrice on the table. “My friends,” he beamed, “I have called you together this day, the seventh of January, to observe the momentous occasion of Mr. Charles Dickens 200th birthday!” Cheers and applause erupted around the table. Mr. Pickwick smiled, then again brought the group to order with the aid of the gavel. “I felt this event would be most properly celebrated if each of us mentioned what we best like about our respective tales. So, Master Twist, will you begin?

Oliver: Yes sir. What I like best was the kindness I received, even from Mr. Fagin and the Dodger. Although their professions were wicked, they were very good to me, as was dear Nancy. Dodger, would you like to speak next?

Dodger: Of course, Nolly. Well, I ‘ave to say that me fav’rite thing was the warm relationships some of us ‘ad; Fagin was practic’lly me father, Nancy was like me mother, and Nolly ‘ere was me brother. Faguey, wot about you?

Fagin: Well, my dears, I liked looking after you boys. You did full justice to your bringing up and established for yourselves a glorious reputation.

Nancy: Well, I loved caring for the boys, giving ‘em plenty of motherly love. Mercy?

Mercy: I was glad to be separated from Jonas, and Mr. Chuzzlewit takes such good care of me now!

Mr. Chuzzlewit: I loved giving Mary and Martin my blessing for their marriage.

Ruth: I adored the moment when Mr. Westlock proposed and I accepted!

Tom: I loved the day when Mary and Martin became engaged.

Scrooge: I cherish the Christmas morning when I finally realized my errors and changed for the better!

Tiny Tim: I liked the day when Mr. Scrooge promised to help our family!

Bob Cratchit: I agree with Tim and add that I loved when Mr. Scrooge said he'd find a doctor for him!

Lucie Darnay: Charles and I simply loved helping others, extending them love and compassion.

Sidney Carton: I treasured the day when I gave my live for that of Charles Darnay. It was a far, far better thing I did than I had ever done; it was a far, far better rest I went to than I had ever known.

David Copperfield: I adored the day when dear Agnes accepted my proposal.

Dora: I loved the night when I died, because then I asked Agnes to take my place as Doady’s wife, and she did, and made him a far better wife than I had been.

Agnes: I love the same day that David did.

Betsey Trotwood: I loved informing Mr. Murdstone that Mr. Dick and I would care for David.

Tracy Tupman: The day when our adventures as the members of the Pickwick Club came to a very happy end.

Augustus Snodgrass and Nathaniel Winkle: We agree with that!

Sam Weller: As do I!

Mr Pickwick: And I! Thank you, my dear friends! Now, shall we all join in giving Mr. Charles Dickens a rousing rendition of “For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow”?

All: Yes! For he’s a jolly good fellow, for he’s a jolly good fellow, for he’s a jolly good fellow, and so say all of us! And so say all of us, and so say all of us! For he’s a jolly good fellow, for he’s a jolly good fellow, for he’s a jolly good fellow, and so say all of us! Hurrah!

2 comments:

Laura Kathryn said...

What an epic day this is! I am a huge fan of Mr. Dickens and am glad to see that you are too. I enjoyed your vignette - especially the introduction by Mr. Pickwick - I verily saw him magnanimously presiding.

Isabel said...

Thank you for your kind words!