My characters shall have, after a little trouble, all that they desire.
-Jane Austen

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Northanger Abbey Film Reviews


Alrighty, inspired by my stay in Bath, I've decided to review the two films of Northanger Abbey.  So, here goes!
I remember the first version I saw was the 1986 one, which I only viewed once, a few years ago, because it terrified me! It was very lurid, macabre, and bizarre. Now, about the cast- Catherine's appearance was that of a deer in the headlights, like she was trying too hard to look sweet and innocent. Henry Tilney (played by Peter Firth, Colin Firth's brother) didn't look at all how I imagined Henry to be, and as far as I can remember, he wasn't very witty. Also, the Isabella looked like a total hoyden (Catherine would have been a complete fool not to see that there was something wrong with her!).  James Morland, General Tilney, the Allens, and everyone else were quite unmemorable, though John Thorpe was somewhat awful, as he should be. Worst of all, the film pretty much blended Catherine's fantasies with her everyday life, especially in the final scene where she's back at home and Henry rides  out of the fog to propose, which he doesn't actually do because they just go straight to the kiss *groan*.  What an absurd romanticization. The only good thing about this version of N.A. was that they set it in the late 18th century, when Jane Austen probably imagined it happening. Still, I can't imagine her enjoying the mutilation of her novel, making it a true Gothic tale *shudders*.
                                               
                                                     Here's Catherine.  See what I mean? 
This is NOT Henry Tilney!
Isabella and her Mama. Miss Thorpe's smile is frightening and she's wearing too much coquelicot!
I love this picture!
Now, about the 2007 version, which I saw soon after the earlier one, and keep watching to this day! The characters- Catherine (played by Felicity Jones) was absolutely adorable! I love the sweet scenes she had with her family, and her cute smile when she and Henry were teasing one another. Also, I love the way the film kept her fantasies (full of damsels in distress, dashing heroes, and scheming villains- pardon the cliches!) and her everyday life separate, to show that she imagined abduction, seduction, and all that melodramatic rigamarole to be exciting and desirable, but in real life she was offended at the mere notion of such things. The world needs more pure hearted Catherines and fewer giddy Isabellas! By the way, if you were to ask me which Austen heroine I am most like, it would be Catherine, because we're both dreamy and bookish- though I don't read horrid novels- and I try to emulate her sweet spirit. Okay, where were we? Oh, yes, the 2007 Catherine was phenomenal! And the time period is superb! Moving on. Henry Tilney ( played by J. J. Fields) was perfect. He was handsome, a gentleman, and above all, witty. His proposal to Catherine was sooo sweet! This film made me fall in love with Henry *fangirlish squeal*!
I love her outfit, though her gown is a bit low-cut.
 John Thorpe and Isabella ( who was played by Carey Mulligan) were dead-on. John was perfectly odious, and Isabella was subtle, sly, beautiful, and downright despicable. I'm ashamed that our names are so similar!
 The Allens, the Morlands, and the rest of the Tilneys, Eleanor especially, were ideal, and the scenery was lovely. The only bad thing about this film was a scene involving Isabella and Captain Tilney, which you may want to skip if you have younger siblings.
  So, to conclude, the 1986 film is far too horrid, and the 2007 version is an amusing delight!

No comments: